Friday, February 18, 2011

Like a Leaf

I spent some time a few afternoons ago exploring the yard around my home.  Curiosity--and slightly warmer weather--drove me outdoors with my camera, Ellie, and her lovely macro lens to see what we could find.  Oh, and find is just what we did--all sorts of amazing bits of God's thawing world.  :)

Snow melts from hidden autumn

I noticed that autumn's leaves, buried under winter's snow, revealed themselves through the melting ice.  And in each leaf--though long dead and browned--I found a strange beauty, and a lesson from the Lord.

A single leaf, resting on crystals of ice; fallen, trampled, buried, revealed.

Leaf from coral bells, retaining its marmalade colors

Even though these leaves are beautiful, a reflection of God's natural world, they no longer live, cut off from the plant or tree that sustained them through warmer months.


A lesson from the Lord came as I searched my beloved concordance:  leaves, leaf, leafy.  And I "happened upon" the following verses:

For all of us have become like one who is unclean,
And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment;
And all of us wither like a leaf,
And our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.
There is no one who calls on Your name,
Who arouses himself to take hold of You;
For You have hidden Your face from us
And have delivered us into the power of our iniquities.
But now, O LORD, You are our Father,
We are the clay, and You our potter;
And all of us are the work of Your hand.
Isaiah 64:7-9 nasb

I do not endeavor to "preach" or even to "teach" here, but to simply share His Word.  I leave you with this final image of another leaf, curled and withered on the snow, and a reminder that I was withered, taken away by my iniquities, but now--oh this beautiful thought!  The LORD is my Father.  I am the work of His hand.

{worthy of a blog header}

Living life; capturing life.

Christine

visit my family blog!
Indeed My Heritage

1 comment: