Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Weekly Header Challenge -- My Favorite Place to Visit

It's time for the Weekly Header Challenge!

"Headbanger" Participants
Imac 
Lew

I'm joining in the group above for this weekly challenge.
Click on the other participants' blogs to see
what they've come up with!

Theme ~ My Favorite Place to Visit

Chosen by Mac.


What a great theme!  I thought about my trip to Paris, but no--that was just one time, and even though it could have been my favorite place to visit, I don't know that I would want to go back again and again.  So I thought--where do I go, again and again, with anticipation and eagerness?  Besides Lake Bonaparte, I think hands down it's my vegetable gardens.  So those are featured today--and a good thing, too, as the snow melts and I hope for spring!

Here's a picture of my back yard raised garden beds, taken from the deck of our pool.  This is my header image, uncropped.


One reason it's my favorite place to go is that I never know what I'm going to find.  Take this giant heirloom tomato:


One pound, taking up both of Jacob's hands!


In the spring, I keep going out to check on the strawberries--are they red yet?  Can I pick them?  The first batch usually ends up in my mouth, and I make strawberry shortcakes with the second batch.


The Giant Marconi sweet peppers are prolific, as are the spicy jalapeños:


I love to watch the garlic scapes ripen and burst with little garlic seeds, to plant for next year's harvest:


There's always a bright, yellow squash blossom to be on the watch for:


And, in my front yard flower garden, I check on the herbs; here is the oregano growing like a weed!


The French sorrel is a delight, as a new addition last year:


Below, the English thyme was also a new addition; I love running my hand through its stems and sniffing the aroma!


The sage plant, below, was a garden staple until it mysteriously died last summer.  I did get one harvest out of it, and I sauteed the leaves to top my ravioli.  It was heavenly!  I think I'll plant some sage again this year.


My veggie gardens are a treasure, and of all my favorite places, it's the one place I "travel" to most frequently.  I can't wait to sit down and plan this year's garden now!!

Treasuring life's moments,
Christine

Visit my website
Stop by my family blog
Like me on Facebook

7 comments:

  1. A delicious place to visit (and no traffic to slow you down)! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely no traffic! A place I can get to on foot--bare feet, too, lol!

      Delete
  2. I hope I can get my garden into decent shape again. I drool when I see yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! It does take a lot of work, and I may scale back a bit this year. We'll see how spring goes as we get closer to planting time. Even a small garden is a pleasure, though!

      Delete
  3. Christine: What a wonderful show from your garden. You certainly get some great treats with beautiful captures from your yield. Alas, the deer took over my garden and it is no more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, I don't have to worry about deer in my back yard, but I have had some in my front eating some of the flowers! There are enough spots around here that deer can live peacefully, but they have been spotted from time to time in various neighborhoods! It's quite the spectacle, too.

      Delete
  4. Nice n close to Christine, lovely photos

    ReplyDelete