Friday, February 3, 2012

Project 52 -- Shadows

project 52 p52 weekly photo challenge my3boybarians.com

I'm linking up with Darcy for Project 52.
Click her Project 52 button above to see what it's all about!


This week's challengeShadows


My photo:


My thoughts:

I thought about shadows all week, but was too busy to pick up my camera, and Thursday evening came rushing at me.  I was drained, but pulled Ellie out of her bag and took some shots of chair backs and other shadows cast by the soft indoor light.  Outdoors had been a bust most of the week, since it was cloudy.  So I had to settle.

The setup:

My two youngest guys sympathized with my plight, and they goofed off making hand shadows on the floor.  After several attempts, I chose the above image (pardon the badly-placed watermark!).  Thomas' hand is not actually touching the floor, but it looks like it is.  I thought that was cool.  The shadow was blurry from higher up, so I kept shooting as he moved his hand closer to the floor.  In Lightoom3, I turned the image black and white, pushed up the exposure, and added extra black and shadow to the image for contrast.  Then I added some very coarse grain to the image.

Camera settings:

  • ISO 800
  • Manual mode
  • 50mm portrait lens
  • Aperture at f2.8
  • 1/40 second shutter speed

One more hand shadow shot (compliments of Danny, my #3):



Treasuring life's moments,
Christine

Visit my website
Stop by my family blog
Like me on Facebook

7 comments:

  1. Very nice! I had been too busy until yesterday as well. Better late than never!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Christine,

    These were great. I haven't been taking many pictures this week too. And the ones from last week, well...we won't discuss!

    Hope you have a blessed weekend♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Thanks again for posting the camera settings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shadows can be hard to get in the winter for some of us in the north. I don't follow Darcy's but noticed it was shadow this week so I linked up my swing shot. Thankful for the sun we got this week!

    ReplyDelete