Saturday, November 12, 2011

One More Boat, One More Camp Fire

Sunday, October 9.  Lake Bonaparte, foothills of the Adirondacks, upstate New York.  Afternoon.

Residents along Hermitage Road, East Shore

A post or two ago, I blogged about the ritual of taking my dad's Cadillac out of the water and into his shed.  Well, there was one more boat to undergo the same action:  Rick's pontoon boat in which I enjoyed my first autumn boat ride.  To watch this activity, my mom and I walked over to the marina, just 50 yards or so down the road.

Docks in the bay

The pontoon boat is bigger than my dad's Caddy, and is removed from the lake with a truck and trailer.  Basically, you just drive the boat right up on to the trailer, and you're done!  Well, pretty much, anyway.







Away they went, to winterize the boat.  It gets parked on my cousin Tom's property down a ways, and then it's cleaned up and tarped over (is that a word?) for the winter.  So long, pontoon!

Then it was time for another sunset picture.  Not my last, since we'd be there a few more days.  But the last of a busy weekend with lots of people, food, and fun.

I could tell just walking down to our dock that it would be another calm, peaceful sunset, without clouds or even a breeze.


Below is the actual sunset.  Again, as I've said before, for a photographer, it's nothing spectacular.  But that evening, I was simply Christine, daughter of the King who created that sunset for me.


The sun cast such pretty colors that I repositioned the camera and shot more toward the north.

This is just about where the sun sets during the summer months

On my way to our last group campfire, I spotted the moon rising above my parents' home.  That would be fun!  I had wanted to get some Milky Way shots, but the moon was out each night we were there and it was too bright to see many stars.  So I decided to have some fun with exposure by shooting the moon.  :)

ISO 100, f14, 30-second exposure; kit lens at 17mm (as wide as it would go)

Then I switched lenses to zoom in as much as I could to capture the moon.  I'm so glad I've learned how to shoot in manual mode--I was able to tell Ellie the exposure I wanted, even though Ellie told me that the exposure should be longer.  It's basically just a boring moon image.  I'm glad I took it, though.

ISO 100, f5.6, 1/800 second exposure, 70-300mm lens at 300mm

I lugged my tripod over to the fire for an evening shot.  Slow shutter speed meant motion blur, but I wanted it in the shot, since it helped set the mood.

ISO 100, f5.6, 1.6 second exposure, kit lens at 17mm

Well, I guess I got photographically technical there for those last images!  Sorry about that.  But I know some of you want to know.  :)

You wouldn't believe--or maybe you would!--how many more images I have to go!  I'm trying to space out these posts, but I've already run out of October.  I'll just keep plugging away, and you and I can both enjoy autumn at the Lake for a few more weeks.

Since I included the sky images, I thought the following would be appropriate.

The LORD has established His throne in the heavens,
And His sovereignty rules over all.
Psalm 103:19 NASB


To read the next post about my Lake Bonaparte getaway, click here.


Previous Lake posts

Part 1 -- Autumn Lake Nature Walk
Part 2 -- Pontoon Panorama
Part 3 -- Saturday Scenes from the Boat
Part 4 -- Food! Glorious Food!
Part 5 -- People, Boats, and Pictures
Part 6 -- God's Hand Across the Sky
Part 7 -- One Last Ride in the Cadillac
Part 8 -- It Must Come Out!


Capturing the moments of life.

Christine

Visit my website
Stop by my family blog
Find me on Facebook

1 comment:

  1. They are all so beautiful. I especially love the shot of the moon over the house. :)

    ReplyDelete